Thank you for your interest in joining Compassion Over Killing’s mission! We operate two offices in the US — one in the Washington, DC area and the other in Los Angeles.
Current open positions:
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Executive team
- Supervises: Special projects manager, additional development team members as expansion allows
- Location: Remote (Washington, DC office optional)
- Benefits: Remote work, flexible hours, health benefits, room for advancement into Senior Director of Development & Communications
Salary: competitive. commensurate with experience
As a non-profit farm animal protection charity working to disrupt animal agribusiness and create a kinder world for all, our ability to bring about meaningful and lasting change relies upon philanthropic support from individuals, private foundations, and corporations. The Director of Development is a leadership position that will directly impact and strengthen our capacity to expose the truth through undercover investigations, fight for justice through proactive legal advocacy, wage campaigns for corporate reform, and empower others to stand up for animals by leaving them off our plates.
Design and execute a mission-driven development plan to secure essentials funds and expand our philanthropic support, fueling our work for truth, justice, and compassion.
• Lead Compassion Over Killing’s fundraising programs and activities, implementing best practices, setting goals, and evolving strategies to meet those goals
• Provide strategic direction and incorporate innovative ideas to diversify funding sources, expand our donor base, and secure financial growth
• Manage income programs, grant reporting schedules, and allocation of restricted funds
• Create solicitation materials and funding proposals
• Build strong relationships with our key supporters and top prospects
• Routinely collaborate our executive and senior director teams in identifying elements of our programmatic work to: amplify communications with supporters; seek additional funding including grant requests; help create and implement self-sustaining fundraising opportunities within departments
• Working with/training key staff to be more engaged in fundraising activities
• Develop metrics for success and evaluate fundraising activities to gauge progress
Qualifications/Who We’re Looking For:
• Commitment to the organization’s mission
• Fundraising experience/proven track record in managing successful development program
• Active certification as a Certified Fund Raising Executive or equivalent credential preferred
• Well-qualified candidates should possess at least a bachelor's degree, preferably in business, marketing or nonprofit leadership with fundraising experience.
• Leadership/management experience, specifically in a remote-work environment
• Persuasive writing, effective verbal communication, and strong relationship building skills
• Ability to engage in creative marketing and public relations strategy
• Self driven with a capacity to work both independently and as part of a team, to meet deadlines and goals
• Willingness to travel as needed
Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Position Objective: To manage the planning and execution of major events, including COK’s annual DC VegFest and spring fundraising gala, as well as additional vegan events providing mission-driven financial support for the organization throughout the year
Terms of Employment: Full-time located in DC area (may be remote or in-office) (strong remote candidates based outside of DC-area may be considered)
Reports to: Senior Director of Campaigns and Outreach
- Plan and manage the execution of annual DC VegFest and Spring Gala (including, but not limited to, scheduling, venue relations, budgeting, logistics, permitting, vendor and sponsor recruitment and coordination, speakers, and volunteer recruitment, as well as coordinating with other departments on publicity, fundraising, and marketing).
- Build event management template for the annual Spring Gala in advance of planning the 2020 inaugural event.
- Create strategy to bring attendees, including donors, volunteers, and potential donors and volunteers, to these annual events.
- Work closely with Director of Development to organize other fundraising events, including restaurant benefits, throughout the year to provide mission-driven financial support.
- Contribute to goal-setting for fundraising and attendance, as well as strategic planning to meet these goals, for large high-impact events.
- Design and project-manage effective systems to execute and delegate major event roles, such as marketing, publicity, operational needs, and volunteer relations, to specialized staff within the organization; set concrete timelines and expectations for these roles; and lead inter-departmental communications and progress meetings.
- Implement effective event management platform to streamline major event planning processes and communications.
- Track all event-related milestones and metrics to evaluate event progress and success and adjust plans accordingly.
- Assist other departments as needed with various event-related tasks or projects.
- Perform other related duties as needed to further the mission of the organization.
- At least 5 years of event planning and management experience, preferably in organizing large festivals (10,000+ attendees).
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred; equivalent experience to be considered.
- Excellent organizational, writing, and communications skills
- Very strict attention to detail.
- Skilled in executing a broad range of event planning tasks, with particular expertise in venue coordination, fundraising, vendor and sponsor relations, and logistics.
- Outstanding ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to lead a team according to a set timeline and goals to effectively and efficiently meet publicity, marketing, volunteer, and other major event needs delegated to staff.
- Experience with event management platform or ability to learn new software quickly.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, highly adaptable, and skilled at streamlining processes and communications.
- Willingness and ability to travel to represent COK as needed at events or meetings, including during evenings and weekends.
- Strong work ethic, team player, and drive to succeed.
- Preferred additional qualifications and background in marketing, advertising, management, and community organizing.
- Commitment to the objectives of the organization; knowledgeable about vegan and factory-farming issues strongly preferred.
- Competitive salary, health insurance (dental and vision offered), paid time off, parental leave, and holidays
Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org