Did you know: Chickens are remarkably smart, social, playful birds?
When given the freedom to be themselves, they enjoy running, soaking up the sunshine, and dustbathing.
Consider these fun facts about our feathered friends:
- Chickens are problem solvers. They can anticipate what’s to come and understand cause-and-effect relationships.
- With excellent memories and intelligence, chickens can recognize up to 100 individuals.
- Chicken communication skills rival those of primates. They use sophisticated signals to convey their intentions.
- Chickens are smarter than human toddlers. They understand object permanence. And they’re capable of mathematical reasoning, self-control, planning ahead, and transitive inference (if A>B and B>C, then A>C).
- Hens are loving mothers. They carefully build their nests and chirp to their chicks, who respond back to them.
- Chickens dream, just like us. Like humans, dogs and cats, and other animals, chickens experience REM sleep.
Sadly, more than 8 billion of these curious and affectionate animals are slaughtered for food each year, most spending their entire short lives crowded inside filthy, barren sheds on factory farms.
There are no federal laws protecting chickens! Meanwhile, these birds endure egregious abuses and suffering behind the closed doors of animal agribusiness.
Case in point: COK’s newest investigative video, filmed inside a factory farm supplying Tyson Foods — the nation’s largest poultry producer — uncovered violence and the painful effects of genetic manipulation for unnaturally fast growth. It is the second investigation in little more than a year exposing cruelty in Tyson’s supply chain.
Take action for birds today!
- Sign & share our investigator’s petition: Tell Tyson Foods to stop crippling birds with rapid growth.
- Try these delicious chicken-free recipes and find many more at TryVeg.com.