Today is World Environment Day, and planet Earth is facing plenty of threats, with more challenges undoubtedly ahead.
The good news is you don’t need to be a politician or a cape-wearing superhero to enact change. Each one of us has the power to help protect the planet we all call home.
That’s why Compassion Over Killing launched the Plant-Powered Planet Protectors (P4), a diverse coalition of more than 25 organizations empowering others to choose plant-based eating for the environment. Read more here!
Animal agriculture is a leading cause of environmental degradation as well as resource depletion, and the science is clear: Leaving animal products off our plates is one of the single most powerful ways we can each protect the planet:
- A 2013 report by the United Nation’s Environment Programme states one of the “key actions” to produce more food with less pollution involves “lowering personal consumption of animal protein” as well as “a shift from animal based protein to plant based protein.”
- Researchers from the Univ. of Chicago report that the average American can do more to reduce global warming emissions by not eating meat, eggs, and dairy than by switching to a hybrid car.
- Pastures and the production of animal feed take up almost 80% of the world’s agricultural land resources.
On the other hand, plant-based foods require significantly fewer resources. For example, based on data from Quantis and the UN Food & Agriculture Organization, the meatless Impossible Burger uses “75 percent less water, 95 percent less land, and produces 87 percent less greenhouse gas emissions” than a burger made from meat.
Every time you choose a delicious plant-based meal, YOU are fighting climate change, sea level rise, deforestation, pollution, and other planetary woes. It all starts on your plate.
We can help you find the environmental hero in you today! Here are some simple ways to get started:
- Visit TryVeg.com for Earth- and animal-friendly recipes, meal ideas, tips, and so much more.
- Download our FREE guide to Eating Sustainably!