As we say good-bye to 2016, we hope you’re as ready as we are to jump start the New Year with refreshed energy to embrace all the opportunities for change!
Though we know many challenges may lie ahead, farm animals have good reason for hope: YOU!
And COK is here to inspire and empower you to put your compassion into action. Are you ready to turn a new page for animals as you turn the calendar pages in 2017?
Here are 7 easy actions (let’s not call them “resolutions?” They’re fun!) you can take to have a positive impact for animals — and the world:
1. Join Meatless Mondays: Each of us has the power to stand up for animals every time we sit down to eat. Whether you’re opting for meat-free meals on Mondays or leaving animals off your plate every day, your compassionate choices are making an impact! Pro-Tip: Already vegan? Empower 7 people to go meatless on Mondays! Visit TryVeg.com for lots of recipes and more.
2. Sign & share a petition: Petitions can be an effective way to spread the word and apply pressure to create significant change. With so many easy online petition sites like Change.org and Care2.com available, it takes just seconds to sign your name for a cause. Start today by signing and sharing COK’s petitions to help protect pigs and chickens!
3. Lend your support: Pick a charity that inspires you, and put your money where your heart is. Give what you can, because every amount counts, no matter how small! Just by skipping a latte and donating that money to a non-profit animal protection organization, you are making a difference. There are plenty of groups who will put your support to good use — our favorite of course is Compassion Over Killing!
4. Volunteer: They say, “Think globally, act locally!” And when you volunteer with an animal sanctuary, rescue or other animal protection group near you, you are truly making a world of difference for animals in need. We know you’re busy, so just give the time you can spare. Ask for tasks and roles that use your talents and passions, whether it’s writing or social media, or getting hands on volunteering with animals at a sanctuary.
5. Be Social & Share: You’re probably on social media most days, so why not use this powerful tool to speak up for those without a voice. Sometimes just sharing a blog, petition, article or meme can truly amplify a message — and you never know who you might inspire to make more compassionate choices. Next time you see something worth sharing — whether it’s an undercover investigation or a cute farm animal photo — share, share, share! And visit COK on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!
6. Encourage vegan options near you: Restaurants and stores want to hear from you, the consumer! And just by asking for a vegan or vegetarian option, you can change a menu. Check out COK’s easy restaurant outreach guide for tips and order your set of our restaurant manager cards to ask eateries to add more animal-friendly options. You can also ask mega chains like Dunkin’ Donuts to add vegan eats!
7. Stick to Vegan Eating! Show your friends just how fun vegan eating can be with our adorable new COK and TryVeg stickers (see photo on the right!). Visit our marketplace for details, and while you’re there, check out other items too, like this “Ask Me Why I’m Vegetarian” tee, a great conversation starter!
It’s never too soon — or too late! — to start protecting animals, the planet, and your health! Remember that we’re here to help, so take a deep breath and say: “Bring it on, 2017!”