The sixth annual US VegWeek kicks off today! This nationwide campaign, which starts on Meatless Monday and the day before the 44th annual Earth Day, empowers people to create a kinder, greener, and healthier world, simply by choosing vegetarian foods.
In the words of late Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson who founded Earth Day, “Our goal is not just an environment of clean air and water and scenic beauty. The objective is an environment of decency, quality and mutual respect for all other human beings and all other living creatures.”
Without a doubt, what we eat matters. And the single most important action we can take to protect the planet — and animals — is to choose plant-based foods.
That’s why more than 5,500 people — including scores of lawmakers and celebrities — have already agreed to take the US VegWeek 7-day VegPledge, and it’s not too late to sign up! You’ll get tons of free resources from coupons to recipes, plus the chance to win some awesome prizes, from vegan chocolates to DVDs.
After taking the pledge, check out our handy map for more support — you’ll find dozens of restaurants offering specials and events from coast to coast, from cooking demonstrations and vegan bake sales to potlucks and movie screenings. Can’t find an event in your area? Consider hosting one! We’ve made an event-planning toolkit to help.
Here are just a few US VegWeek event highlights:
- April 21, Lexington, VA: Generals Raising Awareness of Animal Cruelty will be on the Washington & Lee University campus sharing a message of compassion and free animal-friendly ice cream sandwiches.
- April 24, Los Angeles, CA: Enjoy dinner at Veggie Grill El Segundo and 50% of all food and drink sales will be donated to COK’s life-saving campaigns for animals.
- April 24, Seattle, WA: Come to a Youth Hip Hop Green Dinner. The Green Dinners serve as a unique way to reach out to the community to deliver a vegan dining experience geared towards urban youth and young people who identify with Hip Hop culture.
- April 24, Washington, DC: Join COK and Sticky Fingers Sweets and Eats for a vegan wine and cheese tasting,which also doubles as an art show featuring Dana Ellyn!
- April 26, Portland, OR: Dr. Michael Greger of NutritionFacts.org and The Humane Society of the United States will speak about the benefits of a plant-based diet.
- April 26, Oakland, CA: Take a bus field trip from Oakland to a Grass Valley animal sanctuary called Animal Place where you will enjoy time with the animals, a tour of the sanctuary and vegan farm, plus lunch and snacks.
- April 26, Ann Arbor, MI: Demond Johnson, a fitness trainer who has worked with contestants on NBC’s “The Biggest Loser,” will present an interactive session about training on a vegan diet.
- April 27, Ft. Lauderdale, FL: Come hungry to a Waffle Party fundraiser for COK. Guests are encouraged to bring their favorite vegan waffle toppings.
Thanks to our generous sponsors for supporting US VegWeek 2014:
|And thanks to our fantastic partners as well:|