Love popovers? Me, too — but since these light and airy rolls, which are similar to muffins, are made from an egg batter, it’s been a while since I’ve indulged in one. So when The Vegg rolled out it’s brand new Egg-Free Baking mix, creating vegan popovers seemed like a fun challenge. Would I be able to replicate the texture, rise, and eggy flavor associated with popovers?
After substituting the equivalent of 3 eggs with The Vegg Baking Mix, I was excited to see the batter puff up in the pan as it baked. Breaking open the crispy exterior of these mini popovers reveals a fluffy center with a delicious eggy taste. Here’s the recipe I used — hope you enjoy!
Mini Vegan Popovers (Makes 18)
- 3 teaspoons The Vegg Baking Mix
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Whisk The Vegg Baking Mix and water together in a mixing bowl until thickened and bubbly. Whisk in soy milk and melted margarine. Add flour, salt, and thyme. Whisk until batter is well mixed.
- Refrigerate batter for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 F. Put empty mini muffin tin in hot oven to warm for 5 minutes.
- Remove muffin tin from oven and spray with oil or cooking spray. Fill muffin cups to the brim with batter. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until crispy and beginning to turn golden on top. Serve while still hot.
Want to try out The Vegg Baking Mix for free? Sign up now for our 7-Day VegPledge for your chance to win.