This past Sunday, Los Angelinos flocked to the Animal Advocacy Museum in Pasadena, California to hear from — and meet — some of their favorite vegetarian authors at the first-ever LA Vegan Book Fair, hosted by Compassion Over Killing.
While the book topics ranged from nutrition to the myth of humane meat, the common thread that bound them all together is that choosing vegan foods offers tremendous benefits.
Dynamic presentations were given by six popular authors:
- Heather Lounsbury, author of Fixing Your Mood with Food
- David Simon, author of Meatonomics: The Bizarre Economics of Meat and Dairy
- Carolyn-Scott Hamilton, author of The Healthy Voyager’s Global Kitchen
- Hope Bohanec, author of The Ultimate Betrayal: Is There Happy Meat?
- Matt Frazier and Matt Ruscigno, co-authors of No Meat Athlete: Run on Plants and Discover Your Fittest, Fastest, Happiest Self
In addition to these inspiring and informative lectures, the more than one hundred attendees had a special opportunity to meet with the authors and have their books signed after the talks.
The first 50 guests received free gift bags, and some additional bags loaded with tasty treats from our sponsors — LARABAR, Beanfields, Way Better Snacks, Food Should Taste Good, Primal Spirit Foods, Daiya, and Reed’s — were also available for a small donation. Two lucky guests also won a copy of the adorable children’s book Steven the Vegan by Dan Bodenstein and illustrated by Ron Robrahn.
Afterwards, attendees and authors headed over to the nearby Green Earth Vegan Cuisine for an incredible dinner that also doubled as a benefit for COK with 15 percent of the evening’s sales being donated to help us help animals.