The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will air its prestigious 85th Academy Awards tonight. And who does Tinseltown consider its top talent?
Vegan Anne Hathaway scored a Best Supporting Actress nomination for her move-you-to-tears performance as the ill-fated Fantine in Les Miserables. Her co-star, vegan-friendly Hugh Jackman, received a Best Actor nomination for his rendition of criminal-turned-politician Jean Valjean in the movie musical.
And vegan Joaquin Phoenix, who thankfully did not retire after all, secured a Best Actor nomination for his portrayal of a troubled man looking for guidance in The Master.
Could it be that being vegan makes one a better actor or actress? Perhaps it’s their compassion and empathy that allows these performers to successfully transform themselves into such challenging, Oscar-worthy characters. It’s the perfect topic of discussion for a vegan-themed Oscar party!
Simply pour some vegan champagne, put out some popcorn (recipe below), and tune in to ABC on February 24 at 7 p.m. EST (4 p.m. PST) to see the winners of those illustrious golden statues announced on the live show. Plus, Hathaway’s red carpet look is sure to be stunning, and we can’t wait to see which designer’s vegan shoes she’ll sport this time!
Vegan Garlic and Herb Popcorn
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (for heating in the pan)
- 1/2 cup olive oil (for drizzling after the kernels have popped)
- 2 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pot, add kernels, cover, and place on medium-high heat.
- After one minute, carefully shake the pot until you hear kernels begin to pop.
- Wearing oven mitts, hold pot handles using your thumbs to hold the lid down, and lift pot off burner. Shake pot until popping slows, and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle in olive oil, rosemary, onion and garlic powder, and salt, then serve!