The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council has declared July as National Hot Dog Month, but we prefer to celebrate with a compassionate twist, turning this food holiday into National Veggie Hot Dog Month!
This July, while our nation celebrates its independence, we need you to help us speak out for animals by exposing the cruelty forced upon millions of pigs on U.S. factory farms—from mother pigs intensively confined in tiny crates where they can’t even turn around to their piglets who endure painful mutilations without any relief.
Give animals a voice by distributing pro-vegetarian literature and sharing delicious veggie dogs with friends, family, and other hungry vegetarians-to-be with a feed-in or backyard barbeque. There are lots of options! Try the hot dogs, frankfurters, brats, and sausages in a variety of flavors from Tofurky, Lightlife, Yves, or Field Roast—and don’t forget the toppings!
Tell us about your event and we’ll help you get started. In the meantime, try this mouth-watering recipe for inspiration…
Healthier Beach Hot Dogs
(makes 4 dogs)
- 4 vegan hot dogs (try Tofurky, Lightlife, Yves, or Field Roast)
- 4 whole or sprouted grain hot dog buns
- 1 medium organic tomato, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup organic sauerkraut
- 4 whole pickles
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup pickle relish
- 1 bottle mustard, any variety
- 1/4 cup spicy pepperoncinis
- black pepper grinder
- Cook dogs by following instructions on package. To char, heat dogs directly on gas stove for a few seconds, broil them in your oven, or use a grill.
- Assemble dog in bun, add all the toppings, and enjoy!
* Recipe and photo provided by Kathy Patalsky at Healthy.Happy.Life.