Our fourth annual VegWeek wrapped up yesterday, exactly one week after Earth Day, and it was a resounding success! The weeklong celebration highlighting the many benefits and flavors of going meat free included more Veg Pledge sign-ups, more restaurant specials in more states, more events from coast to coast, and more media coverage than ever before.
Among the thousands of VegPledgers nationwide were nearly 30 elected representatives — from U.S. Representative Barbara Lee in California to Mayor Josh Cohen in Annapolis, Maryland.
Additionally, VegWeek was officially recognized with Proclamations in Takoma Park, Md., Montgomery County, Md. and Santa Cruz County, CA. And in Marin County, CA, the Board of Supervisors passed VegWeek Resolution (Supervisor Susan Adams pictured here).
- Benefit events at Veggie Grill in California, Mellow Mushroom and Cedar in DC
- Vegucated screenings in Florida and Delaware
- New vegan menus introduced at Founding Farmers (in both DC and Maryland – pictured above) as well as Oaxaca Grill and Ben’s Chili Bowl in DC and Lia’s in Maryland (pictured below)
- Forks Over Knives screening at Great Sage in Maryland
- Worldwide Vegan Bake Sales in Texas, Florida, Maryland, and California
- A spring cooking demo with Miss Kitchen Witch (also known as COK Los Angeles Outreach Director Gwendolyn Mathers) in California.
We also entered Miss Kitchen Witch in the popular 10th Annual Grilled Cheese Invitational in Los Angeles, where she took home a trophy after competing against non-vegan contestants!
The VegWeek fun was featured in numerous news articles and on blogs, including: The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, The Miami Herald, The Huffington Post, LAist, Washington City Paper, West Palm Beach Vegan Examiner, San Antonio Examiner, Buffalo Examiner, VegNews, This Dish is Veg, Vegan.com, and Kiss Me, I’m Vegan!
Did you participate in VegWeek? If so, tell us about it! And stay tuned, as next week we’ll share some of your stories…