This Sunday, Pats fans, Giants fans, commercial connoisseurs, and a handful of folks who simply tuned into the wrong station while searching for the Puppy Bowl will all have one thing in common: hunger. Oh, and maybe football. Super Bowl celebrations and destinations of all types will share the common element of filling, delicious, and plentiful food on par with a Thanksgiving celebration. With this in mind, vegetarian sports fans are wise to be choosy when selecting where to settle down for the big game—after all, it’s a captive market once the game starts and you’ll want a feast of flora to choose from, not a single veggie burger option!
Compassion Over Killing staff and volunteers in Washington, DC and Los Angeles have put our heads together and we proudly present our best bets on each coast for vegan dining during the Super Bowl. Take a look and stop by to say hello this Sunday!
Your best bet in DC:
Bread and Brew
1247 20th St NW
Join Bread and Brew in the lower level bar for an all-vegan Super Bowl viewing party, featuring an entire menu of specialty entreés and tapas, including: quesadillas, potato skins, pulled-“pork” and chickpea “crab” sliders, chili fries, loaded nachos, and vegan pepperoni pizza. In addition, the bar will be offering exclusive drink specials for the event, and 10% of all bar proceeds will benefit Compassion Over Killing!
- Lucky Bar offers a vegan
burger, spring rolls, hummus with pita, falafel sandwich, salads, and a chips and dip platter with salsa, guacamole, and black bean dip, hips with salsa, guacamole, and black bean dip and salads. 1221 Connecticut Ave NW
- Nellie’s Sports Bar offers edamame, salads, hummus platters, sweet potato fries, black bean dip, and a veggie burrito that can easily be veganized (hold the dairy). 900 U St NW
- Tonic‘s Mount Pleasant location watch party will feature the same vegan-friendly dinner menu crafted with help from COK, including roasted red pepper hummus, a host of salads, including a tofu taco salad, and a curried tofu entreé. 3155 Mt. Pleasant St NW
Your best bet in LA:
Tony’s Darts Away
1710 W Magnolia Blvd, Burbank
Known locally for its amazing array of vegan sausage and beer pairings, including a “build your own sausage” option available on a bun or greens, Tony’s Darts Away is preparing a host of specialty vegan options for its Super Bowl Sunday party. Look forward to vegan buffalo wings with ranch dressing, a five-layer dip featuring dairy-free cheese and sour cream, barbecue-“pork” sliders, and even Frito pie—all in addition to vegan mainstays like chili sin carne, Vegenaise, and egg-free aoli!
- Golden Road Pub offers football-perfect soft pretzels with dairy-free pimento cheese, meatless meatballs, a portobello mushroom Philly, and loaded vegan twice-baked potatoes. 5410 W San Fernando Rd, Los Angeles
- Masa of Echo Park, though not showing the game on-site, will expand their very vegan-friendly carry-out menu, which allows for substitution of mock meats and dairy-free Teese cheese, to include a California (sun-dried tomato and spinach) and a Classic (black olive and mushroom). 1800 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles
- Mohawk Bend‘s half-vegan menu will add game-day themed creations like New England “clam” chowder, a seitan pastrami sandwich, Buffalo cauliflower, vegan chili fries, and a selection of vegan mini-pizzas. 2141 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles